Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

LISBON | JOANA VASCONCELOS AT PALÁCIO NACIONAL DA AJUDA (PART 1/3)


On Saturday the 4th of April I went to see the artist Joana Vasconcelos' exhibition at the Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, in Lisbon. I find some of her pieces very interesting and looked forward to see them in the Palace, having never seen them before. I love this idea of mixing the old and the new, the classic and the contemporary, and since her exhibition at Versailles had been a huge success I definitely wanted to witness this effect - albeit on a smaller scale, I can't help thinking it a little more appropriate to have her pieces in a portuguese setting. But hey, I'm biased...


 The exhibition opened on the 23rd of March, and will run until the 25th of August. Tickets sell at €10 for adults and €5 with student discount.


 


This was my second visit to the Palace, but apparently I've erased every memory of my first visit because I don't remember what we saw or what we did on that high school field trip, so I was as much in awe with the place as I was with Vasconcelos' work. I took around two hundred photographs, and I'd say some 30% include chandeliers and/or ceilings.





My favourite thing about this exhibition was how most of the installments looked natural, as if some of these modern art pieces had always been there along with the Palace's furniture. They fit right into place, and yet catch your eye almost immediately.




(In this particular picture above, the room was much too small and crowded to take a decent photograph of the entire room, but this "fountain" made out of irons was displayed next to a couple of real fountains from the Palace.)




I will have to split up the photographs from this exhibition since they are too many for a single post, even after I've made a selection. So this is the first of three blog posts on this exhibit, I'll try to upload the other two over the next couple of days!

End of part 1 of 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment